- 16 oz. corn husks
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups avocado oil
- 3 tbsp. baking powder
- 13 cups cornmeal
- 1 ½ tbsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 6 lbs. beef eye of round, trimmed and sliced into 4 strips
- 1 onion, julienned
- 1 head garlic, thinly sliced
- 14 guajillo peppers, deveined
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- 64 oz. beef stock
- ½ tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tsp. sea salt
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 zucchini, julienned
- Ingredients pre-prep: Soak cornhusks in hot water for 1 to 2 house (or until softened).
- To make the masa: Add chicken broth and oil to Mixing Bowl of Stand Mixer. Connect Wire Whip attachment and combine, then add baking powder salt, and mix well. Gradually add 1 cup of cornmeal at a time while mixing. Allow 1 minute for mixing before adding next cup. Continue mixing until a smooth, consistent texture is achieved. Cover with a damp towel and set aside.
- To make the filling: Preheat Pressure Cooker at medium heat (PL5 on Induction Burner) for 5 minutes. Add olive oil, beef, and sear 5 minutes per side. Add onion, garlic, peppers, tomatoes, stock, and seasonings. Stir well.
Place lid on Pressure Cooker, secure by pressing CLOSE button, turn Pressure Valve to HIGH setting, and increase heat to high (PL8 on Induction Burner). Once a steady stream of steam comes out of Pressure Valve and Red Pressure Indicator rises, reduce heat to medium-low (PL4 on Induction Burner) and cook 50 minutes.
Turn off heat and carefully turn Pressure Valve to PRESSURE RELEASE setting to release pressure (use a potholder as Pressure Valve will be hot).
When pressure is released, the Red Pressure Indicator will drop. Carefully open Pressure Cooker by pressing OPEN button and lifting lid away from you.
Remove beef and let cool. Transfer to Mixing Bowl of Stand Mixer, connect Flat Beater attachment, and shred. In your Blender, add broth from Pressure Cooker and press the Smoothie mode button to blend automatically for 1 minute to make a sauce.
Return shredded meat to Pressure Cooker. Add 1 ½ cups sauce to dough and remainder to beef. Stir well and adjust salt to taste.
- To assemble tamales: Carefully drain and separate the cornhusks. Place on a towel to soak up extra water.
Add 2 tablespoons of masa to the center of the wide side of each cornhusk. Use the Spreader to spread masa smooth side up, leaving a 1-inch border. Spoon 1 tablespoon of filling on top of masa, down the middle, leaving ½-inch border of masa around filling. Add a zucchini and carrot stick on top of filling.
Fold the cornhusk so masa wraps around filling, then fold other side to cover completely. With the seam side up, tuck tapered end of husk under tamale (one end will be exposed and the other will be folded over). Repeat to fill the rest of the tamales.
- To steam: In the Stockpot, add enough water to reach bottom of Steaming Rack. Place tamales upright (open side up) and side-by- side on Steaming Rack and cover with layer of cornhusks. Cover with lid and cook on low heat (PL2 on Induction Burner) 4 hours or until tamale is firm and easily rolls off cornhusk.
- Remove tamales with Tongs and serve topped with salsa and cilantro.
You may also be interested in