Chicken and Tomatillo Tamales
- 30-35 cornhusks
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup avocado oil
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tbsp. sea salt
- 4 ½ cups cornmeal
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 4 cups green tomatillo sauce
- Remaining green sauce and a touch of cilantro
- Ingredients pre-prep: Soak cornhusks in hot water for 1 to 2 hours (or until softened).
- To make the masa: Add chicken broth and oil to Mixing Bowl of Stand Mixer. Connect Wire Whip attachment and combine, then add baking powder, salt and mix well. Gradually add 1 cup of cornmeal at a time while mixing. Allow 1 minute for mixing before adding next cup. Continue mixing until a smooth, consistent texture is achieved. Cover with a damp towel and set aside.
- To make the filling: Add chicken to a deep bowl with 3 cups green tomatillo sauce and toss until combined.
- To assemble tamales: Carefully drain and separate the cornhusks. Place on a towel to soak up extra water. Add ¼ cup of masa on the center of the wide end of each cornhusk. Use the Spreader to spread masa smooth side up, leaving a 1” border. Spoon 2 tbsp. of chicken filling on top of masa, down the middle, leaving ½″ border of masa around filling. Fold right side of cornhusk over filling, then fold the left side over. Finally, fold the cornhusk's pointed end up over towards the center of the tamale. Repeat to fill the rest of the tamale.
- To steam: In the Tamalera, add enough water to reach bottom of Steaming Rack. Add Divider and place tamales upright (open side up) and side-by-side on Steaming Rack and cover with layer of cornhusks. Cover with lid and steam on low heat (PL2 on Induction Burner) for one hour or until tamale is firm and easily rolls off cornhusk.
- Remove tamales with Tongs and serve topped with green tomatillo sauce and garnished with cilantro on Marbella dinnerware.