Serves: 6 (1/2 cup per person)
- 2½ lbs. boneless chuck roast (beef roast)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2½ cups water
- 1 bottle of light beer (12 oz.)
- 1 medium banana leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig of fresh oregano
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 10 peppercorns
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt (plus salt and pepper to taste for the beef)
- 3 pasillas chiles, cleaned and seeded
- 2 ancho chiles, cleaned and seeded
- Remove any excess fat and cut meat into 2” cubes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place Pressure Cooker on Induction Burner without lid, add olive oil, and preheat at PL4 (medium) for 4 minutes. Add beef and sear for 2 minutes per side.
- Add onion, garlic, water, beer, and all of the "seasoning" ingredients (except the chiles) and mix well. Cover with banana leaf.
- Place lid on Pressure Cooker and secure by pushing the CLOSE button (make sure Safety Vent is facing away from you). Turn Pressure Valve to the HIGH setting and set Induction Burner to PL6 (medium-high).
After about 5 minutes, a steady stream of steam should come out of the Pressure Valve and the Red Pressure Indicator should rise (this means the Pressure Cooker has come to pressure and cooking time begins).
- Lower temperature to PL4 (medium) and set the timer for 32-35 minutes (Induction Unit will automatically shut off when time is up). To release pressure, carefully turn Pressure Valve to the PRESSURE RELEASE setting. Take care to use a potholder as Pressure Valve will be hot.
- When pressure is released, the Red Pressure Indicator will drop. Carefully open Pressure Cooker by pressing the OPEN button and lifting the lid away from you. Remove meat and shred with two forks.
- When the remaining broth in the pot has cooled, add to the Vida Sana™ High-Power Blender OR Vida Sana™ Personal Blender along with chiles and grind completely. Pour this “chili sauce” over barbacoa, stir to coat well, and serve.