Red Chile Chicken (for Tamale filling)
- 8 dried Ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 8 dried New Mexico chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 1 cup water
- 6 tbsp. Grapeseed oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ tsp. oregano
- 1½ tsp. cumin
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 whole chickens, bone in and quartered
- Salt and pepper
- Toast the chiles in Comal over medium heat, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove, add to Blender with water, blend, and set aside.
- Heat oil in Casserole and add onion. Cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, oregano, cumin, broth and blended chiles. Simmer until slightly reduced, 10 to 15 minutes. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper and then add to simmering liquid. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until chicken is fully cooked. Remove chicken to carving board, shred meat and discard skin and bones. Toss shredded chicken with 3 cups of sauce, season with salt and pepper to taste and refrigerate well or overnight before assembling tamales.