Autumn Squash Bisque
ROASTED ONIONS AND GARLIC:
- 4 tbsp. butter, divided plus more for Square Container
- 2 onions, sliced into ¼” thick slices
- 1 head of garlic, cloves peeled
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 5 cups (½”) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 ½ lbs.)
- 2 cups (½”) cubed peeled russet potatoes (about 12 oz.)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 baguette, cut into 16 slices
- ¾ cup (3 oz.) shredded Gruyère cheese
- Black pepper (add when plating if desired)
- 3 tbsp. chives, chopped
For the Onions and Garlic:
For the Soup:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rub inside of Square Container with butter and place onion slices in a single layer.
- Melt 2 tbsp. butter, pour over onions, and sprinkle with salt. Roast onions until bottoms are golden, about 20 minutes.
- Flip onion slices, add garlic cloves, and coat with remaining butter. Bake another 20 minutes until garlic is golden brown and fork tender, stirring halfway through cooking.
- Melt butter in Dutch Oven over medium-high heat (PL7 on Induction Burner). Add squash, potatoes, salt, and pepper and sauté 3 minutes. Add roasted onions and garlic, stir in broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low (PL2 on Induction Burner) and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Using the Immersion Blender, connect Blender Attachment directly to Blender Motor and turn clockwise until it locks into position, using locked and unlocked icons as a guide, and plug into outlet.
Place Blender Attachment into Dutch Oven and turn appliance on by pressing and holding speed I button, and adjust as necessary with speed control dial. Blend ingredients to desired consistency using a gentle up-and-down motion for up to 1 minute at a time to prevent motor from overheating.
(Note: Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered until cold. Cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before continuing.)
- Stir in half-and-half and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and keep warm.
- Preheat broiler. Arrange bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Broil bread slices 2 minutes or until golden. Ladle 1 cup soup into each of 8 bowls and top each serving with pepper and about 1 teaspoon chives.
You may also be interested in